The post UK staycation is here to stay appeared first on TD (Travel Daily Media) Travel Daily.
New research from Square has revealed that staycations are a trend set to continue to the end of 2022 and beyond.
Nearly half (45%) of UK holidaymakers plan to continue staycations until at least 2022 or until the pandemic is over, and 1 in 10 (10%) intend to go on holiday in the UK for at least the next 3 years. In contrast, only 1 in 20 (5%) plan to holiday outside of Europe in the near future. The findings also show that 6 in 10 staycationers (61%) are planning to rebook a UK holiday destination they’ve visited before.
Who is driving the staycation boom?
- Gen-Z is leading the boom and predicted to set aside the most spending money for their UK holidays at GBP458.96
- Millennials follow next, aged 25-34 and looking to splash out GBP409.54
- The above are in comparison to the average set aside spend of GBP377.03
A rising number of holidaymakers expect to pay by card at their destination, with nearly 9 in 10 (88%) staycationers preferring to pay by card, and 45% saying they always prefer to. Respondents said convenience (56%) and not needing to find a cash point or queue for cash (52%) as advantages of paying by card, ultimately offering more time for relaxation.
The survey found that the top three holiday destinations in the UK were Cornwall (24%), The Lake District (21%) and Scotland (16%) as, with Edinburgh the most popular area to visit in Scotland (10%).
Top 10 UK holiday hotspots:
- Cornwall (24%)
- Lake District (21%)
- Scotland (16%) – with Edinburgh as the top Scotland hotspot (10%)
- Devon (16%)
- North Wales (14%)
- Yorkshire (13%)
- South Wales (11%)
- Blackpool (10%)
- The Cotswolds (10%)
- Brighton (8%)
Top factors determining UK holiday destination choice:
- Location (68%)
- Accommodation (52%)
- Price (49%)
- Value for money (46%)
- Weather (34%)
- Activities (28%)
- Flexible cancellation policies for travel/accommodation (26%)
- A unique experience (20%)
The post UK staycation is here to stay appeared first on Travel Daily.